Friday, January 4, 2008

the discovered sample

There is a great feature on the blog palmsout.blogspot.com where they list (mostly with functioning mp3s) where the samples came from in classic hip-hop songs. This is one of my all time favorites. It´s odd to be listening to the song and then to suddenly come across the sampled segment. This is from Ms. Fat Booty by Mos Def ' . . .ass so fat that you could see it from the front . . .' I should point out that it was song number 31 on my top 50 songs of all time.

The original is Aretha. 'One Step Ahead'

2 comments:

supermouthhappy said...

mmm baby. its good. I think there is a growing interest in hearing the originals to these great hiphop samples. I remember seeing ?uestlove at the Baltic Room play the original that 'Ms. Fat Booty' sampled the beat from.
And I know there's a compilation album out featuring the originals of all of Kanye West's recent samples. All those songs are so good, its no wonder folks want to try and borrow some of that goodness.

On a side note: "ass so fat that you can see it from the front" is still one of my most favorite lines. Up there with, "love you like a fat kid loves cake" and "runs deep like stab wounds from ice picks"

Jason said...

True, you should really check out the palmsout website. You can sort the topics on the left. The one to look for is sample Wednesdays. Def good stuff!!